Looking for something fun to do over the chilly fall months? Hillside is pleased to present a six-week audio and mixing course for music-lovers, aspiring performers, roadies, stage crew wannabes, and lifelong learners enjoying lockdown.
Jon Halliwell has over 25 years of professional live audio experience, including 16 years with Hillside Festival and many years of national and international touring as a sound system engineer and front-of-house mixer. Jon has been involved with Hillside on and off since 1995 in various roles including main stage front-of-house mixer, stage manager, and technical director. Jon currently mixes audio for a variety of artists including the Skydiggers, the Tenors, and Secret Path Live. Jon has previously mixed audio for special events at the City of Toronto, Panamania Festival, the Grey Cup, NHL All Star Game, Junos Songwriters Circle, and many more. Jon has toured as an audio system engineer with Leonard Cohen, Michael Bublé, Anne Murray, Nelly Furtado, Feist, The Tragically Hip, Prince, City & Colour, Metric, Arkells, and many more. Jon has taught seminars on audio engineering at PRG Canada, VER Tour Sound, Horizon Solutions, Red Tree Productions, and the University of Guelph.
Due to popular demand, we’ve added Thursday evening courses in addition to the initial Tuesday evenings. This beginner/intermediate course takes place over Zoom on Thursday evenings from November 5th to December 10th, for only $50. Limited enrollment.
The course topics for each of the six weeks are:
- Intro and audio theory.
- Inputs: microphones, DIs and RF systems.
- Mixing level 1: gain, eq, compression, analog/digital.
- Mixing level 2: bussing, effects, gain structure.
- Sound systems: mains and monitors, networking.
- Stage plots, safety, grounding, roles in the industry.
Click here to register.
- Is this course right for me? The course is for a wide range of skill levels with content that will appeal to beginners and also people with some experience who want to learn more. No minimum required skill level as long as you are interested in the subject.
- Will I need special equipment? No special equipment required; you will only need an Internet connection to get online for the session.
- Will I get any materials or handouts? No handouts will be given, but you are free to take notes and screenshots of the presentation.
Registration questions: [email protected]
Course content questions: [email protected]