Songwriting for Peace. Songwriting for Change.
Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin'
We're hosting a five-week course designed to help you write an original song, from a bright idea to a resounding piece of music. Passionate song writing for protest, for peace, for change and charging up is fuelled by hope and inspiration, which is what we'll share together in a warm and supportive place where experimentation is fun.
Classes will concentrate on:
- Brainstorming for best ideas;
- sharpening your focus;
- using effective language and resounding metaphors;
- honing point of view;
- editing and polishing to bring out the shine;
- developing cadence, rhythm, harmony, for clarity of intent and message;
- writing a memorable chorus.
At the end of the course, there may be an opportunity to performer publicly.
- Basic music knowledge required - guitar, piano, or whatever else.
- Create a new song from start to finish - a song with a clear, focused message of which you are proud, which you have not necessarily thought of before, using a songwriting technique that you may never have used before. Come with an open mind, ready to start something completely new.
- Lessons will include supportive songwriting circles that will help you communicate the emotion of a song better.
- Plan to attend all five classes.
5 Classes - Friday Evenings
March 31 - May 5, 6-8pm
$165 (including HST)
Six students maximum
EASY SIGN UP: Download the Workshop Application Form here and submit it to Doris Folkens at [email protected] by March 30, 2017.