Call for Artwork: Hillside 2020
Hillside Festival is seeking an artist to create the artwork for our 2020-21 festival branding!
This is a paid commission that requires the conception and execution of two pieces that form a unified pair with similar looks and concepts. The main artwork will be for the summer festival (July, 2020), with the supplementary piece for our winter festival (Hillside Inside, which will take place in February, 2021).
Deadline for submissions: October 15, 2019
The selected artwork will be used throughout all marketing, including posters, website, social media, advertising, T-shirts, and other merchandise. We will help direct the selected artist to craft the final product.
Hillside's core values are creativity, altruism, equality, environmentalism, and peacemaking. We seek to promote these values through artistic expression, community engagement, and environmental leadership. We are a festival built upon belonging, volunteerism, and, of course, great music. We are also a community festival, so themes related to the creation of ties and bonds are also of importance. In the past, many artworks have highlighted the festival’s natural location, on an island at Guelph Lake Conservation Area, but this is not necessary. We are looking to evoke some aspect(s) of the festival.
Because the artwork will be used in many media and sizes, simplicity and boldness are assets. It should work well when screen-printed with a single colour on T-shirts – either as is or as a variation to be supplied by the artist. The designer can assist in this process.
Please refer to the timeline below to ensure you will be available during the creation and consultation period.
WHO CAN SUBMIT
The call is open to anyone who is interested – illustrators, painters, graphic artists, printmakers, etc. Students, hobbyists, and professionals are all welcome to submit concepts, and all will be given equal consideration. Your artistic style’s suitability to translate well into a single-colour vector graphic for screen-printing will be considered an asset, but is not a requirement.
The artist selected will be expected to work in consultation with the Festival in accordance with the following schedule:
- Due date for submissions is October 15, 2019.
- A decision will be made on the art selection in early November, with the artist being then notified.
- The artist will work with the Festival to finalize the artwork for the summer festival. The final submission deadline is December 10, 2019.
- The process will then repeat in January and February for the winter 2021 artwork. The final submission deadline is March 10, 2020.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email to: [email protected]
- OR, you can mail/drop-off your submission to: The Hillside Festival, 341 Woolwich St., Guelph ON N1H 3W4
- Hillside Festival's office hours are currently 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Tuesday to Thursday.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
- Bio and/or artist statement
- Link to your online portfolio and/or up to 5 images of your work (if emailing, please ensure your email is less than 2.5 MB total; larger files may be sent via Google Drive, Dropbox, or WeTransfer)
- NO CONCEPT IS NECESSARY. We select artists based on their portfolio. However, if you have an idea and would like to share it with us as a verbal description or rough sketch, we would be happy to consider it as well.
The selected artist will work with the Hillside Festival Marketing Committee and graphic designer to develop the final artwork.
Artists from past years in graphic above: Jay Soule (left), Maria Ibarra (right)