Call for Artwork: Hillside 2019
Hillside Festival is seeking an artist to create the artwork for our 2019/20 festival branding!
This is a paid commission that requires the conception and execution of two pieces that form a unified pair with similar looks and concepts. The main artwork will be for the summer festival (July 2019), with the supplementary piece for our winter festival–Hillside Inside–which will take place in February, 2020.
The selected artist will create a work that will be used throughout all marketing, including posters, website, advertising, promotional products, merchandise, etc., in both print and digital formats. We will help direct the selected artist to craft the final product.
Hillside's core values are creativity, altruism, equality, environmentalism, and peacemaking and we seek to promote these values through artistic expression, community engagement and environmental leadership. We are a festival built upon belonging, volunteerism, and, of course, great music. We are also a community festival, so themes related to the creation of ties and bonds are also of importance. In the past, many artworks have highlighted the festival’s natural location, on an island at Guelph Lake Conservation Area, but this is not necessary. We are looking to evoke some aspect(s) of the festival.
Because the artwork will be used on screen-printed merchandise and at many sizes, simplicity and boldness are assets.
Please refer to the timeline below to ensure you will be available during the creation and consultation period.
WHO CAN SUBMIT
The call is open to anyone who is interested--illustrators, painters, graphic artists, printmakers, photo artists/manipulators, etc. Students, hobbyists, and professionals are all welcome to submit concepts and all will be given equal consideration. Please, no conventional photography submissions; we aren't planning a photo-based poster for 2019. The final art will be used for screen printing, so your style should translate well into line (vector) art.
The artist selected will be expected to work in consultation with the Festival in accordance with the following schedule:
Artist submission deadline is Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 by 5:00pm
- A decision will be made on the artist selection in early October, with the artist being then promptly notified.
- For the remainder of October and November, the artist will work with Hillside to finalize the artwork for our summer festival, with a final submission of the artist's artwork due on December 7th, 2018.
- The process will then repeat throughout January and February for the winter 2020 artwork (for Hillside Inside), with a final submission deadline of March 8th, 2019.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email to: [email protected]
- OR, you can mail/drop-off your submission to: The Hillside Festival, 341 Woolwich St., Guelph ON N1H 3W4
- Hillside Festival's office hours are currently 10:00am - 5:00pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays
WHAT TO SUBMIT
- Bio and/or artist statement;
- Link to your online portfolio and/or up to 5 images of your work (if emailing, please ensure your email is less than 2.5MB total; larger files may be sent via google drive or dropbox)
- NO CONCEPT IS NECESSARY; in the past, we have selected artists based only on their portfolio. However, if you have an idea and would like to share it with us as a verbal description or rough sketch, we would be happy to consider it as well.
The selected artist will work with the Hillside Festival Marketing Committee and graphic designer to develop the final artwork.
Artists from past years in graphic above (in order from top left to bottom right): Ryan Price, Scott Mooney, Cai Sepulis, Tammy Ratcliff, Jamie Kapitain, Brendon Mroz, Ryan Price, Jay Soule (Chippewar).