Call for Directors of The Board
Do you love Guelph? Do you love the arts? Do you have experience in governance or want to have experience in governance? Well then, this is the opportunity for you. Hillside is looking to add some directors to its Board.
The Hillside Community Festival is a not-for-profit music festival that celebrates creativity through artistic expression, community engagement, and environmental leadership.
Hillside will create a more vibrant and caring world by promoting altruism, equality, environmentalism and peacemaking in every aspect of its work.
Duties of a Board Member
- The Board of Directors meets year round, the third Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm for approximately two hours at the Hillside office, 341 Woolwich St. Guelph;
- Directors are to attend all Board meetings or give reasonable due notice to the Board Secretary when unable to attend meetings. Dismissal may result (per the Hillside bylaws) if Board members are absent from three consecutive Board meetings;
- Each Board member must be on a minimum of one committee;
- Each Board member must attend the Hillside Summer Festival at Guelph Lake Island in July. Each Board member must attend and be available for Hillside Inside in January/February for a minimum of 6 hours;
- The officers of the board are nominated and elected at the first board meeting after the AGM;
- Each Board member is expected to attend leadership meetings (i.e., Coordinator meetings);
- Each Board member must attend any Board governance training meetings and/or retreats;
- Board members act as ambassadors of the festival, drumming up both support and enthusiasm for the festival among community members, patrons, and potential sponsors.
- Board members are to act in accordance with the vision and mission of the Hillside Festival
- No previous Board experience is required, though experience in collaborative decision-making, strategic planning, law, non profit management, arts, event planning, marketing, finance, is considered an asset.
Benefits of Being a Board Member
- Providing strategic direction to the organization;
- Contributing to big-picture planning and strategic visioning;
- Giving back to your community;
- Making great connections;
- Getting to know and work with lots of wonderful people!
- Seasonal celebratory board and staff meetings;
- Participating in the democratic process and experience with collaborative decision making
How to Apply
Interested parties should contact [email protected] for more details. Those interested in applying to the Board will be expected to attend the Hillside Annual General Meeting on November 22nd 2017 (location TBD) at 7PM. All individuals seeking nomination to the Board should prepare a brief speech on their reasons for joining, some platform ideas, and previous experiences. Hillside is an equal-opportunity organization and actively welcomes representation and voices from minoritized identities and populations.